Typography is a key piece of the puzzle for understanding layout, poise, intuitive composition, and elegant forms. In conjunction, I dedicate myself to practicing calligraphy, which deepens my love of letters and teaches me a great deal of expressive forms, character, and visual aesthetics.
Bachelor of Arts in Digital Design from Seattle University
Seattle, WA | September 2012 – Dec. 2017
JoeyGrable.com | Seattle, WA | current
- Well researched and passionate digital designer working locally in Seattle, providing strategic design services from marketing collateral design to comprehensive brand development.
- Track record of organized project management, punctual delivery, and creative solutions to design problems that exceed client expectations and are within budget constraints.
- Specialties include: simplifying visual clutter for information-heavy documents with an emphasis on clean typography, consistent application of color theory, and illustrations and imagery that unify textual content.
Design & Marketing Board Member
Seattle University Dance Marathon | October 2015 – May 2017
- Strategically designed and applied a new brand across a vast range of digital and print marketing collateral for internal and external purposes while maintaining exceptional brand consistency.
- Conceptualized and collaboratively developed year-long marketing campaigns, to successfully promote SUDM to local businesses, potential donors, the campus student body, and families of Seattle Children’s Hospital.
- Wrote comprehensive marketing plans for special events intended for student fundraisers and corporate partners; engaged with the audience through print and digital collateral while telling the story of Dance Marathon.
- Managed SUDM’s social media platforms—achieving over 20% growth on Facebook and Twitter, and over 30% growth on Instagram.
Exhibition Creative Co-Director — #flux2017
Seattle University Digital Design Cohort of 2017 | October 2016 – May 2017
- Elected by the 2017 Digital Design Cohort as a Co-Director for our senior synthesis—a digital design exhibition.
- Acted as the Creative Director of Internal Affairs, managing the creative and marketing duties among a cohort of 22 student designers.
- Led the design team to collaboratively develop multiple concept themes, facilitated multiple work sessions to critique concepts, developed ideas were voted on and we selected the theme—Flux.
- Achieved an effective workflow for various teams to collaborate and integrate the exhibition theme into their roles, and managed their progress using a coordinated timeline and key performance indicators.
- Assisted along with the Exhibition Director of External Affairs to successfully produce a profitable design exhibition. We donated over $2,000 in proceeds to the local non-profit Art With Heart—an organization benefiting art therapy for persons with disabilities.
Lead Designer, Fragments issue no. 57 & 58
Seattle University, Fragments Literary Arts Magazine | September 2015 – March 2017
- Managed a team of digital designers by planning and coordinating brainstorms, work sessions, and facilitating design critiques in meetings. Oversaw the production process through to print.
- Conceived a cohesive design layout that successfully communicated a unique magazine theme, while adapting to fit a diverse range of fine art, poetry, prose, and short stories of differing lengths and formats.
Architectural Design Intern
SDK Atelier | Irvine, CA | Summer 2016
- Created digital color schemes and physical mood boards for client presentation pitches.
- Rendered house plans using photoshop in a street view with full color and landscaping design.
- Learned about the architectural design process, how to plot basic floor plans in AutoCAD, and the intricacies of working in a small design agency.
San Onofre Surf Co. | San Clemente, California | July 2013 – September 2016
- Created graphics and edited pictures for advertisements, banners, products, and special events.
- Coordinated a successful photo shoot for the Fall 2016 girls clothing line.
- Assisted in managing the online system for email, e-commerce sales, product management.
Creative problem solver, precise technical ability, organized, goal oriented, excellent time management, inquisitive, fast learner with diverse creative experience, detail oriented, proficient writer, essential bookkeeping, and a very effective communicator.
Adobe Creative Suite CS6, Microsoft Office, Google Suite, AutoCAD, DSLR photography, video editing.
Advanced Pen Techniques
Society for Calligraphy & Handwriting
Seattle, WA | July 2017 – current
Write On Calligraphers
Seattle, WA | July 2018 – current
Portland Society for Calligraphy
Portland, OR | July 2018 – current
Book Arts Guild
Seattle, WA | August 2018 – current
Seattletters, The 37th International Calligraphy Conference
Bellingham, WA | July 2018
Attended a week-long conference, took a calligraphy course on “Celtic Hybrids and Gothicized Italic” taught by Denis Brown. Had the unique opportunity to socialize and learn directly from some of the most established calligraphers in the international community.
Write on Calligraphers, 35th Annual Letters of Joy Conference
Shoreline, WA | May 2017
Attended multiple technical classes on various calligraphy and design methods. Learned a typewriter-inspired alphabet using a radius cut pen, and advanced pen manipulation techniques using a Bic ballpoint pen.
University of California Irvine
Took an additional quarter of classes on internet systems architecture and search engine optimization, structural website development (XHTML), and advanced website design (CSS2).
August 2011 – March 2012
Attended classes on cinema & television production and advanced video editing. Learned production management skills, advance video manipulation techniques, and attained proficiency in Final Cut Pro and Adobe Premiere Pro.
“10,000 Bibles — Sacred”
December 2017 – April 2018
A handmade leather bound book made from five iPhones, with an illuminated cover design. Exhibited in the United States at Seattle University, and internationally at the Verona Civic Library in Italy.
“#DecadeofDM — Best Overall Campaign”
Awarded the Best Overall Campaign at the national Miracle Network Dance Marathon Leadership Conference.
“Seattle University Dance Marathon 2016 Style Guide”
Featured in the Miracle Network Dance Marathon Pacific Northwest regional newsletter.
“無 [mu]” (Sumi ink on BFK paper, 24.5” x 42” in.)
Seattle University | June 2016
“Sight” (pen and ink, 11”x14” in.)
“Composition #7” (balsa wood, 4”x4”x10” in.)
Fragments magazine, issue no. 57 | Seattle University | May 2016
“Chautauqua” (pastel on paper, 8.5”x11” in.)
Fragments magazine, issue no. 55 | Seattle University | May 2014